Monday, April 20, 2009

Independent Reading - WEEK SIX

For week six, I finally finished Shadow People by Joyce McDonald. It was a fairly good read, but I wasn't as in to it as I could've been. Basically, the last half of the book consisted of the character Gabriel trying to decide whether he wanted to be a bad boy in the gang with his "friends" (Lydia, Alec, and Hollis) or be a good guy with his to-be girlfriend Gem. The gang also starts doing bigger things (being lead by genius Hollis) like exploding an abandoned factory about to be remodeled for use.
I liked the book, don't get me wrong, but I just wasn't that involved in it. I was mostly curious to finish it rather than eager.
One thing I would like to speculate on is the character Hollis: he was like, fourteen or something and Joyce McDonald describes him as a chubby yet eerie genius learning to control his older gang members' actions and decisions. I really didn't like his character, not because he was fat and creepy, but because it seems very unrealistic to me that he, at such a young and inexperienced age, should know how to manipulate people. In the end, when the gang gets caught, Hollis is let off easy because of his young age.
Well, I'm not disappointed in the book. It wasn't one of those books that you read and feel your intelligence level dropping or anything. I actually enjoyed the ending because it was slightly inconclusive. I tend to enjoy endings like that because they leave the reader to freely think about what might happen next. These kinds of endings make some people really mad though because they want to know that everything turns out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment