Monday, April 20, 2009

Independent Reading - WEEK EIGHT

During week seven, I picked up the Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. I've been curious to read it for about a year, and so far I am far from disappointed.
First off, I absolutely love the way Salinger writes. It's a kind of first-person informal chatter, a rambling of the thoughts and opinions of Holden. And I've taken a liking to Holden's views on people, especially when he calls everyone "phonies". I also find it hilarious that he calls everything and everyone "crumby". The book is humorous but also depressing in a way because Holden is extremely lonely and desolate in the first half. Also, since it was written in the 1940s or whereabouts, there are a lot of very strange terms that I took a while to understand. Like how Holden always says that Stradlater is giving girls "the time". I suppose they used these extremely vague terms because outright saying what they really meant was very inappropriate and taboo for that era.

I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of this book.

1 comment:

  1. I just watched some of those shorts, and the one called "Vampire" is the early favorite.

    ReplyDelete