Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Independent Reading - WEEK FIVE

Hooray, I did it!!! My motivational level skyrocketed (after a long time of self-convincing) and I finished reading Animal Farm!! Let me start by saying that George Orwell is an extremely creative, intricate, clever, and strongly motivating author. Not to mention he's got skillz--and guts.

In Animal Farm, the political references were very obvious to me, as I have become quite familiar with Orwell's style. As with 1984, Animal Farm grew progressively complex as it went on, and the atmosphere in the story grew more depressing (and totalitarian). I can see the political references easily, but not so easily am I seeing what particular events Orwell is shadowing. But despite this I find it more viable that I understand the deeper meaning behind his story.

(Spoiler warning: My next entry may give away some plot events from Animal Farm. So consider yourself warned!)

There were some events I found most shocking and intriguing in the book, which I will go into further detail for.

1) When the 7 Commandments painted on the barn wall were secretly changed.

2) Snowball's defeat

3) Squealer convincing all the animals of the opposite of what they formerly thought (an example of blackwhite* from 1984), such as when he changed the Commandments and told the animals they had always been this way or when he lies by telling the animals that Snowball was a against the farm all along.

4) The Farm gradually partners with humans after Napoleon takes command, while when Snowball was in charge, humans were evil and forbidden.

Overall, I'm very pleased to have completed another of Orwell's books and I'll probably continue reading them in the past. :D


* If you remember back to 1984, the term "blackwhite" identifies the procedure carried out by Big Brother (and all his followers) to convince the general public of anything, no matter how obscure.

No comments:

Post a Comment