Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Rationalists

TASK ONE:

+--Puritans VS Rationalists--+

The most evident difference between these two ideas is the belief of where God stands in the people's lives. The Puritans would say that God created everything and controls everything, including the lives of the people. Completely opposing that is the Rationalist idea that God is not vengeful; that he created people and left it up to them to understand life and make individual decisions. Puritans leave it up to their God to control events around them while Rationalists look for scientific or mathematical explanations. A major difference between these two is their ideas of evolution: Puritans believe that God created everything, and Rationalists believe in Darwin's theory of evolution.
I found a rather interesting example of Puritan belief being instilled upon America today: the very Pledge of Allegiance. While the pledge's meaning has changed as our nation has, the phrase 'one nation under God' has Puritan roots. It reflects on the Puritan belief of running a nation under God's control. Rationalism, on the other hand, has influenced our country more strongly so than Puritanism. This is evident in the Declaration of Independence, such as when it states that everyone has the right to 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness'. Organizations like the Human Rights Watch are good examples of Rationalist movements because they focus on the 'unalienable' rights of human beings rather than the rights of humans controlled by God.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
TASK TWO/THREE:

+--Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography--+

In the autobiography, Franklin is very motivated and drives on to better his life. He cares for himself and for other people. Franklin talks about being raised with Puritan beliefs but never feeling like those beliefs suited him.

"My parents had early given me religious impressions, and brought me through my childhood piously in the Dissenting way. But I was scarce fifteen, when, after doubting by turns of several points, as I found them disputed in the different books I read, I began to doubt of Revelation itself."

Next, I read about Franklin's experience after reading a Deist book. He explains how they had such an effect on him that he became "a thorough Deist". Benjamin Franklin strove to better himself, especially after becoming a Deist. He began to use Rationalist ideas in his life, such as using honesty and righteousness in his everyday life. His ideas later were a major influence in The Enlightenment.

"I grew convinc'd that truth, sincerity and integrity in dealings between man and man were of the utmost importance to the felicity of life; and I form'd written resolutions, which still remain in my journal book, to practice them ever while I lived."

"I had therefore a tolerable character to begin the world with; I valued it properly, and determin'd to preserve it."

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
TASK FOUR:

+--13 Virtues--+

1. INDISCRIMINATION. To pass no judgment or discrimination upon myself or upon others.
2. RESOLUTION. To regularly resolve to better those deeds or actions of mine in which I see opportunities for betterment.
3. PLACIDITY. To practice tranquility in my daily life to avoid unnecessary stress or worry on my mind or my body.
4. HEALTH. To will strive to care for and improve my body in a manner that suits my personal needs.
5. SINCERITY. To be honest and trustworthy to myself or others.
6. JUSTICE. To refrain from acting unjustly toward myself or others.
7. EXPRESSION. To always express myself freely through any means I so choose.
8. EMPATHY. To strive to understand and accept myself and others when I or others make decisions contrary to what I believe in.
9. REWARD. To practice the importance of rewarding myself when I accomplish a goal.
10. COMMUNICATION. To regularly keep in touch with friends in order to avoid depression.
11. MODERATION. To pace myself in achievable integers in order to accomplish a lengthy goal.
12. LIBERATION. To allow myself to freely feel any emotion that surfaces and to avoid restraining them.
13. DEYLAH. To practice feeling totally content! (The meaning of my name.)

These thirteen virtues are imprinted in my mind, since I am constantly on the voyage of self-improvement, but after writing them down they seem much clearer to me. I tried to make the list cover every ordeal I've ever been through, like social pressure or self-doubt. One of the main things I'm trying to accomplish is self-acceptance, or using my Liberation and Empathy virtues in order to stop judging myself and to reduce my stress when I feel down.
I do not believe in moral perfection because I believe in balance. The 'ups and downs' or 'yin and yangs' of life are extremely important, because without one you could not see the importance of the other. While I (and probably every other person in the world) favor feeling good and happy, I know that feeling bad is the first step to appreciating when you feel good. So perhaps I do believe in a type of moral perfection, or understanding and accepting the constant cycle we live in.

1 comment: