Monday, February 23, 2009

Independent Reading - WEEK ONE

It's been a slow process, but I read about 50 pages from Animal Farm by George Orwell. It's a very interesting book so far. I'm a fan of Orwell, so I knew I'd probably like it, but I wanted to find out for myself rather than rely on rumors of its content. Anyway, I heard that it's supposed to be a subtle depiction of some major war event happening at the time Orwell wrote it, but I'm not sure on the details of that... What I see from the book is an explanation of a specific type of government, somewhat libertarian and somewhat democratic. I sense a feeling of anarchy in Orwell's books, mainly because the two that I've read have been about revolt and a disengagement from 'the norm'. I don't see Orwell as an anarchist, but as an enthusiast to change current forms of government, ending corruption.

No comments:

Post a Comment